The Virginia Robinson Gardens, located at the Virginia Robinson Estate in Beverly Hills, California, is a historic mansion with period landscape and botanical gardens. It is the earliest estate in Beverly Hills, built in 1911. The main house was designed by architect Nathaniel Dryden, who was Virginia’s father, in a Beaux-Arts style.
The estate was the private residence of Virginia Dryden Robinson and Harry Winchester Robinson, heir to J. W. Robinson’s Department Store. After their marriage in 1903, they embarked on a three-year honeymoon to Europe, India, and Kashmir. Upon their return, they commissioned Virginia’s father to design their historic mansion on a plot of beautifully sloped land, originally owned by the founder of Beverly Hills, Mr. Burton Green.
Virginia Robinson used her green thumb to create Beverly Hills’ most engaging public site. The estate has five distinctive gardens: The Italian Renaissance Terrace Garden, The Formal Mall Garden, The Rose Garden, The Kitchen Garden or Potager, and The Tropical Palm Garden.
Over the years, the estate became famous for hosting some of the most lavish celebrity parties in Los Angeles with notable stars like Charlie Chaplin and Fred Astaire. After Virginia’s passing at the age of 99 in 1977, she bestowed her personal paradise to the County of Los Angeles.
Today, the Virginia Robinson Gardens estate is owned and operated by the County of Los Angeles – Department of Parks and Recreation. Together with the Friends of Robinson Gardens, they maintain this historical site and carry on the traditions and living styles of the early twentieth century.
1008 Elden Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90210